awareNet is a peer-to-peer social networking system to which
may add or upload content which they have created or which it is lawful
for them to reproduce. By default, all such content supplied by users
is made available under a Creative Commons Attribution/Non-Commercial
license (CC BY-NC) so that it may be made available to others for
consumption, re-use, adaptation, translation and other purposes
consistent with the awareNet's mission of education and personal
If you cannot, or do not wish to make
contributions available under these terms you may choose from a range of
different copyleft licenses including Academic Free License, the GNU
Free Documentation License, additional Creative Commons licenses, etc.
If you do not wish to grant others any use of your work beyond that
consistent with South
African copyright then by uploading or adding content to the network you
grant the operators of awareNet a worldwide, non-exclusive,
royalty-free, sublicenseable and transferable license to use, reproduce,
distribute, prepare derivative works of, display, and perform your
content in connection with the Village Scribe Association's services and
for reporting copyright infringement
If you believe material or content available on the awareNet
or an individual node infringes a copyright or the terms of the license
under which it is made available, please send a notice of copyright
infringement. Correspondence should be sent (in English) to:
The Village Scribe Association
The notice of
infringement should include:
- A physical or
electronic signature of a person authorized to act on
behalf of the owner of the copyright that has allegedly been
- Identification of works or materials
- Identification of the material
that is claimed to be infringing
including information regarding the location of the infringing materials
that the copyright owner seeks to have removed, with sufficient detail
so that we are capable of finding and verifying its
- Contact information about the notifier
including address, telephone number and, if available, e-mail
- A statement that the notifier has a good
faith belief that the
material is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the
- A statement made under penalty of perjury
that the information
provided is accurate and the notifying party is authorized to make the
complaint on behalf of the copyright
It is our policy to investigate the
claims made in such a
notice, and to remove content we reasonably believe to be infringing
within 10 business days.
Please note that such claims
to infringement under South African law, specifically the Copyright Act
of 1978 and its amendments. Note also that awareNet's primary
purpose is in
education, and that the Act makes a "Fair Dealing" exception to
copyright in Section 12(4) for copyrighted works used in the context of
The copyright in a
literary or musical work shall not be infringed by using such work, to
the extent justified by the purpose, by way of illustration in any
publication, broadcast or sound or visual record for teaching: Provided
that such use shall be compatible with fair practice and that the source
shall be mentioned, as well as the name of the author if it appears on
The complete text of this Act can be downloaded in Adobe PDF format from www.gpa.co.za
CC BY-NC 3.0 is the default license for content posted on awareNet. This license lets others remix, tweak, and build upon your work non-commercially, and although their new works must also acknowledge you and be non-commercial, they don’t have to license their derivative works on the same terms.
You are free
- To share to copy, distribute and transmit the work.
- To remix to adapt the work.
Under the following conditions
- Attribution: You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the work).
- Noncommercial: You may not use this work for commercial purposes.
With the understanding that
[ Full Legal Code of License >> ]
- Waiver - Any of the above conditions can be waived if you get permission from the copyright holder.
- Public Domain - Where the work or any of its elements is in the public domain under applicable law, that status is in no way affected by the license.
- Other Rights - In no way are any of the following rights affected by the license:
- Your fair dealing or fair use rights, or other applicable copyright exceptions and limitations;
- The author's moral rights;
- Rights other persons may have either in the work itself or in how the work is used, such as publicity or privacy rights.
- Notice - For any reuse or distribution, you must make clear to others the license terms of this work. The best way to do this is with a link to this web page.